We talk about AMS Fulfillment being unique and on the forefront as a B Corporation, but what is a B Corp? What do B Corps do that might be different from other corporations? To answer these questions in general terms, here below is some information from ‘Be the Change’ about Benefit Corporations.
- Certified B Corporations, B Corps for short, are for-profit companies dedicated to using business as a force for good.
- B Corps meet the highest verified standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability to all of their stakeholders.
- B Corps use the power of business to solve our most pressing global challenges.
- Unlike traditional corporations, B Corps are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions on all stakeholders: customers, workers, communities, and the environment.
This is how B Corps get certified:
- B Corp Certification is based on three essential pillars. Alone, none of these pillars are sufficient. It’s the combination that makes it unique, credible, and significant.
- Verified performance ensures that B Corps walk the talk. To meet the performance requirement, a company must earn a minimum, verified score of 80 points on the B Impact Assessment, which examines a company’s overall impact on its workers, community, customers, and environment.
- Transparency builds trust. Once certified, each B Corp must make its B Impact Report transparent on bcorporation.net, allowing the public to see the areas in which specific companies excel and compare B Corps’ scores against the performance of mainstream businesses.
- By meeting the legal requirement for certification B Corps are better able to maintain mission as they scale, have more flexibility when evaluating future sale options, and are better prepared to lead a mission-driven life post-IPO.
Some B Corps put a strong focus on environmental impact.
- B Corps outperform ordinary businesses by 15% on natural-resources conservation.
- B Corps are 87% more likely to monitor, record, and set scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets compared with ordinary businesses.
- B Corps are 70% more likely to reduce the volume or toxicity of waste generated through material selection, production process, or product design than ordinary businesses.
- B Corps are 2.8x more likely to use 100% low-impact renewable energy than ordinary businesses.
While AMS does stand alongside others regarding the environment, we have an equally strong focus on the workforce.
- B Corps are 9% more diverse than ordinary businesses.
- B Corps are 33% more likely to have gender-inclusion trainings than ordinary businesses.
- B Cops are 45% more likely to have Diversity and Inclusion training concerning people of color than ordinary businesses.
- B Corps are 48% more likely to have LGBTQ-inclusion trainings than ordinary businesses.
- B Corps are 27% more likely to pay 100% of their hourly workers a living wage in comparison to ordinary businesses.
- B Corps are 43% more likely to pay the majority of employee health insurance than ordinary businesses.
- B Corps are 20% more likely to have flex-time work schedules than ordinary businesses.
- 75% of US B Corps have incorporated some form of health care benefits that lessen the cost for their employees.
AMS does even more with regard to workforce development, diversity and inclusion.
- AMS has a classroom on campus where college-level classes are offered to the employees and community and most are free.
- AMS joined with a local college to develop the first in California Logistics Apprenticeship, and 17 individuals have now graduated the program. AMS also has a pre-apprentice program to prepare employees for apprenticeship training.
- AMS works with community organizations and the City of Santa Clarita to train and hire individuals with disabilities.
- AMS works with community organizations and the State of California to hire individuals who have been justice involved or incarcerated.
- AMS works to assist the homeless and others who have serious obstacles to obtaining employment.
For clients, employees and community, we’re proud to benefit the world as a B Corporation.